Jump directly to: Education | Publications | Talks | Posters | Awards | Languages | Teaching Experience | Personal Interests
University of Toronto, Canada – PhD Candidate, 2007 – December 2012
Behavioral Neuroscience – Department of Cell & Systems Biology.
Thesis: Zebrafish shoaling behavior: its development, quantification, neuro-chemical correlates, and application in a disease model.
Wirschafts Universitat Wien, Vienna University of Economics and Business, 2011
Graduate courses in International Management & Leadership, and International Financial Management
University of Toronto, Canada – Honours Bachelor of Science, 2007
Biotechnology (specialist), Economics (major), and Chemistry (minor)
Peer Reviewed Publications
- Soaleha Shams, Shahid Amlani, Christine Buske, Diptendu Chatterjee, and Robert Gerlai. Developmental social isolation affects adult behavior, social interaction, and dopamine metabolite levels in zebrafish. Developmental Psychobiology (2017) DOI: 10.1002/dev.21581
- Samantha Mahabir, Diptendu Chatterjee, Christine Buske, and Robert Gerlai. Maturation of Shoaling in Two Zebrafish Strains: a Behavioral and Neurochemical Analysis. Behavioural Brain Research 247 (2013) : 1–8.
- Saif, Muhammed, Diptendu Chatterjee, Christine Buske, and Robert Gerlai. Sight of Conspecific Images Induces Changes in Neurochemistry in Zebrafish. Behavioural Brain Research 243 (2013) : 294–299. Web.
- Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai (2012). Maturation of shoaling behavior is accompanied by changes in the dopaminergic and serotoninergic systems in zebrafish. Developmental psychobiology, 54(1), 28–35.
- Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai (2011). Early embryonic ethanol exposure impairs shoaling and the dopaminergic and serotoninergic systems in adult zebrafish. Neurotoxicology and teratology, 33(6), 698–707.
- Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai (2011). Shoaling develops with age in zebrafish. Progress in Neuro-Psychopharmacology and Biological Psychiatry, Vol 35;6 pages 1409-1415. – PDF
- Margarette Sison, BSc, Jacob Cawker, BSc, Christine Buske, BSc & Robert Gerlai, PhD (2006). Fishing for genes influencing vertebrate behavior: zebrafish making headway. Lab Animal Volume 35, No. 5 May 2006.
- David Echevarria, Christine Buske, Christina Toms, David Jouandot (2010). Assessment of Drug-Induced Behavioral Changes in Zebrafish. Zebrafish Neurobehavioral Protocols, Humana Press, November 2010, pages 109-124.
For more, and current, presentations, don’t forget to take a look at my public speaking page.
- Society for Neuroscience annual meeting, October 2012: Development of social behavior of zebrafish: Analyzing high resolution tracking data to uncover the effects of embryonic alcohol exposure. (abstract)
- Brain Development Conference, September 2012: Small fish, big data: analytical tools bringing high-throughput behavioural screening in a zebrafish FASD model within reach. (View the video here)
- Delta Phenomics, the Netherlands, September 2012: Data mining in Zebrafish High Resolution Positional Data.
- Leiden University, the Netherlands, September 2012: Diving Deeper into Zebrafish Developement of Social Behaviour: Analysing High Resolution Data.
- Measuring Behaviour, August 2012: Diving Deeper into Zebrafish Developement of Social Behaviour: Analysing High Resolution Data.
- Ted Rogers School of Management – Structural Equation Modeling Workshop, July 2012: Using R in Structural Equation Modeling
- useR! Nashville, June 2012: Diving deepeR: mining zebrafish behavior data with R.
- Toronto Zebrafish Meeting, March 2012: Fishy Behaviour: Exploring Social Behaviour and Neurochemistry in Development.
- Models of Human Diseases annual meeting, Toronto, 2011: Zebrafish as a promising model for Fetal Alcohol Syndrome: Behavioral and Neurological Effects of Low Dose Embryonic Alcohol Exposure.
- University of Toronto, Psychology Department Talks, October 2011: Fishy Behavior: what zebrafish are teaching us about the effects of embryonic alcohol exposure.
- University of Toronto, Department of Cell & Systems Biology, March 2010: To shoal or not to shoal: zebrafish as model for vertebrate social behaviour development.
- Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai (2012). Brain Development Conference, September 2012: Small fish, big data: analytical tools bringing high-throughput behavioural screening in a zebrafish FASD model within reach. Abstract # 20.
- Samantha Mahabir, Diptendu Chatterjee, Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai. (2012) The Effect of Embryonic Alcohol Exposure on Social Behavior and Neurochemistry in Two Different Zebrafish Strains. International Behavioral Neuroscience Society Annual Conference, Kailua-Kona, HI, USA. Abstract # 126.
- Christine Buske, Diptendu Chatterjee, and Robert Gerlai (2011) The multifaceted effects of embryonic alcohol exposure in zebrafish: behavioral and neurochemical alterations. Society for Neuroscience, Washington DC.
- Christine Buske, Diptendu Chatterjee, and Robert Gerlai (2011) Zebrafish as a novel FAS model: Investigating the effects of embryonic alcohol exposure on the development of social behavior and the brain. European Behavioral Pharmacology Society, Amsterdam.
- Christine Buske, Diptendu Chatterjee, and Robert Gerlai (2011) Zebrafish as a novel FAS model: Investigating the effects of embryonic alcohol exposure on the brain of the developing and adult zebrafish. Models of Human Disease Conference, Toronto.
- Christine Buske, Diptendu Chatterjee, and Robert Gerlai (2010) Effects of embryonic alcohol exposure on neurochemical and behavioral characteristics of the developing zebrafish, Society for Neuroscience Annual Meeting, San Diego.
- Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai (2010) Effects of embryonic alcohol exposure on the development of shoaling in zebrafish: A model of fetal alcohol syndrome. Federation of European Neuroscience Societies, Amsterdam.
- Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai (2008) Characteristics of shoaling behavior of zebrafish: a longitudinal study. Society for Neuroscience annual meeting, Washington D.C.
- Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai (2007) Temporal Characteristics of Shoaling Behaviour of Zebra Fish: Large scale developmental and fine resolution changes. The International Behavioral Neuroscience Society. Rio de Janeiro 2007.
- Christine Buske, Noam Miller and Robert Gerlai (2006). The Dynamics of Shoaling in Zebra Fish, Danio rerio. Toronto: International Conference on Synapse, Memory, Drug Addiction and Pain, Toronto
- Christine Buske, Robert Gerlai (2006), Fishy Behavior: Shoaling behavior in Zebra Fish (Danio rerio) under different conditions. University of Toronto, Thesis Day. Mississauga, ON. Oral Presentation.
Best Talk Award – Measuring Behavior 2012 Conference, Utrecht, The Netherlands
Professional Affiliations & Activities
- Society for Neuroscience member
- Journal Referee: Animal Behaviour, PLoS ONE
- Conference Referee: General sessions, special sessions, and poster reviewer for Measuring Behaviour 2012.
- Dutch – Fluent
- Portuguese – Fluent
- German – Advanced knowledge
- French – Intermediate
Co-supervised undergraduate thesis student Samantha Mahabir (2011), and independent project student Ruwanthi M. Halwala (2012).
Vienna School of Business, Lecturer 2013 & 2014
I taught three courses at the Vienna University of Economics and Business’ International Summer University program:
Undergraduate level: Branding & Social Network Strategies
MBA level: International Marketing & Social Network Strategy (2x)
Teaching Assistant Ted Rogers School of Management, Ryerson University Jan 2012 – April 2012 As a teaching assistant for RMG700 (Retail Research) I assisted Dr. Murtaza Haider by teaching one tutorial section per week. The tutorials exclusively emphasized statistical theory and techniques using R and R Commander. My responsibilities included teaching the tutorials, developing practice problems for students to tackle during tutorials, and marking assignments and exams.
For MKT100 I assisted Prof. Hélène Moore in her teaching duties with regular in-class assistance during assignments and midterms. In addition, I had sole responsibility for marking assignments and provided consultations and advise to students with respects to a prominent written group assignment they were responsible for at the end of the term.
Eukaryotic Gene Expression & Cell Biology Teaching Assistant 2007 – 2011
Designed tutorials, midterm, and exam questions for second and third year students at the University of Toronto. Taught biological concepts and techniques, evaluated independent projects from the students, and marked midterms and final exams. Managed intense student contact with 70 students, and advised on student’s individual project’s development and execution. Student feedback indicated great satisfaction with my above average performance as an instructor.
Prep101 Biology Course Manual Development Jan 2010 – May 2010
Developed, wrote and edited updated course manuals for biology courses offered by Prep101.
Prep101 Biology Course Instructor 2009
Prep 101, course instructor for university level exam preparation courses. Presented and explained course material, provided personalized responses to student questions.
Freelance Marketing & Copywriting instructor Apr 2006 – May 2008
Organized, designed, and taught marketing and effective copywriting techniques workshops in a corporate setting.
Economics Tutor Oct 2003 – Oct 2005
Private tutor for first and second year university students in economics. Taught economics concepts, helped with exam preparation, and instructed relevant mathematical concepts.
• Young Patrons Circle Member – Royal Ontario Museum
• CanFitPro certified personal trainer, taught women’s bootcamp classes
• CN tower climb for charity (three time) finisher (PB 22:02min)
• Half Marathon runner (PB 2:04hrs)