2 Great Restaurants in Toronto

I’ve lived in Toronto for eleven years. Plenty of time to discover some interesting places to eat. I always keep going back to the same set of places about 80% of the time. The other 20% is dedicated to discovering new hot-spots. Below are two of my favourite restaurants in Toronto. I have a few others as well, but will talk about those in a future blog post.

A few things I look for in a great restaurant:

  1. Excellent food
  2. Good atmosphere
  3. Good service

1. Barbarians steak house

winecellar barbarians toronto

Photo credit: Barbarians Steak House

My favourite place to be in Toronto, aside from being home, is Barbarians steak house. Although the two are more or less the same; going to Barbarians for me feels like going home. The wine cellar has about 30 000 bottles (see above), and is as spectacular as the food. The cellar is available for private parties. I’ve actually never eaten in the cellar, but I’ve visited it a few times. In an attempt to diversify, I’ve been to some other steak houses in Toronto as well. Some big names ones too. However, I can’t do it anymore. Nobody quite knows how to cook a steak, or set the scene, as well as Barbarians.

Loyal as I am to places I love to eat I also have my favourites on the menu I rarely veer from. I used to switch back and forth between the capon and the filet mignon, but ever since moving to London and rarely having a chance to eat here I stick only to the filet now.

Barbarians – 7 Elm Street, Toronto, ON M5G 1H1

barbarians steak in toronto

2. Terroni

If you are in the mood for Italian, Terroni is a great bet. However, you are going to want to go on an evening others decide to stay at home, or go a little earlier than you would typically to beat the lines. Terroni does not take reservations, and it was discovered years ago by Torontonians. It is always busy. This is also the only downside, it can get a bit loud, especially at their Adelaide st. location. I am a fan of the Queen St. location.

Terroni – 720 Queen Street West, Toronto, ON M6J 1E8

Terroni - Toronto Italian restaurant


Christine Buske is a former academic who left science at the bench, and now considers herself a woman in tech. She is a frequently invited speaker, and enjoys talking about career transformation (particularly leaving academia for the business world), tech, issues around women in tech, product management, agile, and outreach. She is a proud Canadian resident, and qualifies as a "serial expat".


  1. Natasja

    27 December

    Great. Another reason for me to put Toronto (and Canada in general) on my bucket list! ;D

    • Christine Buske

      27 December

      Yes!! And, make sure you let me know when you are going to be in town, I’d love to take you for a steak 😀 But first perhaps London?

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.